星期六, 九月 01, 2007

My fantasy too.....

It is Saturday. I have no weekend plan and am just surfing the web after lunch. I googled "own a farm" and was directed to this website. The first post is just like written by me if I can write in English like she does.

Here is my little story of the perfect little farm I want. It would be maybe 30 acres, no more. There would be a nice farmhouse with a porch and a huge kitchen. I would have two standardbred horses for riding, and part of it would be a wooded lot with trails. I would have a dairy cow for milk, and I would make cheese and butter. Once in awhile I would raise a steer or two for grassfed beef. There would be big barns and cellars for storage and a well for water. We would have panels from Nano-solar for energy. There would be a small herd of sheep for milk (for cheese) and wool (for spinning). There would be no goat because my husband doesn’t like them but there might be a llama for more wool. There would be a henhouse for eggs and the ocassional chicken, and a small pond for ducks and geese for more eggs and for Christmas dinner (sorry, I’m partially realistic here).

There would be a large field which would function as a 4-seasons garden to provide all the produce we would use daily, plus plenty to put up for the winter, and herb boxes in the kitchen windows for cooking and for drying. Off the house there would be a very small green house for bringing things in through the winter, a few tropical plants (key lime tree, figs, etc), and a small colony of finches. All plants would be heirloom varieties and I would save my seeds so I wouldn’t have to buy anymore.

There would be a small wheat field for grain and an oldstyle mill on the stream that would be there (and that would hopefully have a few non-stocked trout in it). Either a donkey or wind to turn the mill and grind the flour. There would be a large field for hay, and a small orchard with apples, peaches, pears, and apricots. There would be a berry patch for blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries, and a strawberry field, and there would be lots of jam made.

There would be a small vineyard as well, where I could experiment with winemaking, and perhaps a field of hops as well. And there would be plenty of pasture for the livestock with large corner oaks.

I would practice no till agriculture as much as I could, and preserve the soil structure and plant plants to prevent erosion. I would plant as many native plants as I could, and only grow super organically (not just USDA organically). I would make everything I could myself, and trade for the rest and make what little actual money I needed off selling produce and cheese, farm tours, handmade knits, and horse rides. I would also have a woodshop in one barn to learn to make furniture for my home.

Basically, I would be Amish with more colorful clothing.

=)

没有评论: